A really great place to start if you aren’t lovin’ you some YOU…. Ask yourself what it would look like from the outside if you did? How would you dress? How would you eat? What would your routine be like?
What it means to love yourself (or heck! Even like yourself) varies a little from person to person and even a bit within cultures. But there are some good basics we can start with…
You don’t have to be a vegan or be on some super difficult diet to eat healthily. Did you know that your stomach has a direct connection to your brain? What you you put in your mouth, directly impacts… Everything! Of course, it can impact your weight and overall health but a lot of people have no idea (or want to ignore) the huge influence it has on your emotions. The way you feel about yourself, life in general, mental sharpness and clarity, etc.
I certainly do not expect you to go from a junk food junkie to a health food genius overnight. But what is one thing you are able to do for yourself today? Here is a list to get you started:
- Vitamins? (This one is a little tricky… a multivitamin is probably better than nothing but most of the vitamins available at the grocery store are a waste of money. Do a little googling and/or talk to your doctor before you spending money.)
- How many times each day or days per week are you getting food from a drive through? Can you reduce that by one each week?
- Can you set yourself up so that you are making one of each day’s meals (breakfast, lunch or dinner)? The more you make at home, the better you can ensure that it has some nutritional value and as an added bonus to you can typically spend less money.
- Can you add another fruit and/or veggie to your diet each day? The more you can do, the better.
Move your body
Again, I’m not expecting you to go from couch potato to Olympic athlete. What can you do to add movement in your day? The building I used to office in had a dentist’s office. I used to see the hygienists outside walking during their lunch breaks. I loved that because I used to imagine that as soon as they got home from work, they would be busy with the house and the kids and the dogs and their partners, etc. but they made the time during their work day to take care of their bodies. It doesn’t have to be huge, what is something small you can start doing today to better care for your body?
Are you sleeping at all? Too much?
First thing’s first, set a bed time. One hour before your bedtime, shut down all electronics; put your phone away, turn off the TV, etc. Wash your face, brush your teeth, put on your bed clothes. Journal, draw, read and stay unplugged until lights out. Sleep experts say that having a regular wind down routine the same bed time and wake time each day will help your body shut down and get the restful sleep you need.
- Are you brushing your teeth two times a day? What about once per day? (The goal here is two minutes, twice a day. Build on what you have.)
- When was the last time you saw a doctor?
- Are you showering daily?
Again, the goal here is not perfection build on what you are currently doing. Keep in mind that self care and self esteem on are destinations. It’s like like you wake up one day and you are happy and healthy and no more effort will ever be required. Health and happiness require DAILY work. Yes, I said DAILY. And it cannot come from something outside of yourself. No other person, achievement or money will make you magically feel the way you want to feel. It’s not magic but you can have it too.
As always, I’m here. If you are ready to live your best life, call me and let’s get started!